Friday, March 5, 2010

I Hate The Oscars: Best Director Nods

This man obviously owes nothing to the Jewish Hollywood Elite

Someone take away my keyboard! I can't stop this insanity!

Here's a list of four directors that made movies and a fifth that likes computers!


Lee Daniels, Precious
WHY HE'S NOMINATED: He successfully makes a story of a KFC-spewing AIDS-afflicted teenage mother uplifting.

CRITICAL RESPONSE: Very good. See above.

IHYFM RESPONSE: I'm so ashamed to write, for the fourth time, that I haven't seen it. I'm going to make it my beeswax to see it soon.

WILL HE WIN?: My gut says 'no', but if the votes for the other four nominees get split, Daniels could have a very good evening.


Jason Reitman, Up In The Air
WHY HE'S NOMINATED: His third feature, like the previous two, is intelligently and precisely crafted. It's a very, very well-made movie.

CRITICAL RESPONSE: Excellent. That is, before the backlash saying it was overrated. Also, after the backlash to the backlash that said it was overrated.

IHYFM RESPONSE: I enjoyed it. It's a smart and timely drama that doesn't dumb itself down for the audience (cough, cough, Avatar).

WILL HE WIN?: Possibly, but he'll probably end up as Academy carnage left from the Bigelow-Cameron showdown.


Quentin Tarantino, Inglourious Basterds
WHY HE'S NOMINATED: He made audiences remember Mike Meyers is, on occasion, fun to watch.

CRITICAL RESPONSE: Pretty decent. Not everyone loved it, but it is undeniably well-crafted.

IHYFM RESPONSE: I really liked this movie. It's grown on me quite a bit since initially seeing it, and I love how Tarantino uses the film to ridicule our notion of what a war movie is supposed to be.

WILL HE WIN?: Only if the vote is split between the last two nominees on this list.


Kathryn Bigelow, The Hurt Locker
WHY SHE'S NOMINATED: Contrary to Tarantino's war movie, she directed basically the only Iraq war movie that comes close to capturing the uncertainty and tension of what a day in Baghdad might hold for American soldiers.

CRITICAL RESPONSE: Excellent. It's one hell of a movie.

IHYFM RESPONSE: I've said it more than once around here, but in my humble (and generally correct) opinion, this is undoubtedly one of the best movies of 2009.

WILL SHE WIN?: I certainly hope so.


James Cameron, Avatar
WHY HE'S NOMINATED: Who doesn't love lolcats in space?

CRITICAL RESPONSE: Sadly, really good. Style won over substance for most critics.

IHYFM RESPONSE: One of my friends said it very simply: "I love how much you despise Avatar." Sure, the graphics are good, but so far as the story goes, there's not a whole lot there.

WILL HE WIN?: If he does, it's because of pretty pictures. If he does, the Academy, in my opinion, will put the last nail in its coffin of meaninglessness.


MISSING FROM THE LIST?

- Robert Siegel, Big Fan
- Peter Docter, Up
- Joel and Ethan Coen, A Serious Man

No comments:

Post a Comment